Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Anniversary Waltz

Mills of the gods

My daughter was a ring tone from the musical "Rent". You know the one, "Five hundred twenty five thousand six hundred minutes". The minutes of a year. As of about 7:05 tonight, my wife and I will have been married Seventeen million three hundred forty four thousand eight hundred minutes.Any division of time you choose to measure the marriage by, it has been a long one. Yet it is amazing how fast it flies. It seems just minutes ago (and not 15.8 million minutes ago, we lived in a little 700 square foot apartment on Garrott Street in Houston, eating Hamburger Helper(when we could afford hamburger), Chicken Pot Pies, and trying to figure out ways to get our cars fixed.My wife had to spend over 2.5 million minutes watching me study and I spent close to a couple of million watching her do the same thing. But it was worth it, together we moved from a one bedroom to a two bedroom apartment after I finished law school and had all the room that two people could need. We lived like that for another six million minutes or so, traveling the country and part of the world when we could. I always thought that we got to do everything together that we had ever wanted to do.

Then, to the surprise of many, eight million minutes into the marriage or so, along came the daughter both of us wished for. Be careful what you wish for they say. But I could not have wished for or received anything better. While my wife never slept again as well as she had before the birth, her vigilance and worry has raised a remarkable daughter, despite my best efforts to mess things up. We are down to our last million minutes before the girl flies out of the nest for whereabouts as yet undecided.It will be hard on us, but not as hard as you might think. The two of us have already had a long marriage by ourselves, we can have another just as grand (as long as the daughter calls and e-mails now and then).

No one knows how many minutes they are given here.No one knows how many of those minutes will be good or bad. But I know this, I would not trade any of my minutes, those I have spent, or those I have still to spend, for anything in the world.There is no love like the love I have for my wife and I can't imagine spending even one minute without it, or without her.

1 Comments:

Blogger Paul D. Frazier said...

Wade, I have lost track of how many times I have come back to this article you wrote. It's one that I have sent to friends, and even quoted in a sermon. Many thanks.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home