Friday, December 08, 2006

Brady v. Yahoo

Mills of the gods

In what is just the tip of the iceberg, Tom Brady, the quarterback of the New England Patriots is suing Yahoo for using his picture in association with their Fantasy Football League. I have been waiting for this to happen. Yahoo has almost four and a half million fantasy players and I assume that you can more than double that for Leagues outside of Yahoo. The poor players have been drafted, without so much as a buy your leave, by hundreds of thousands of insurance salesmen, stockbrokers and bar tenders who watch their every move for 16 weeks and don't have the grace to give them a dime for their efforts. And fantasy baseball is even bigger. Can you imagine the revenue Mr Brady could make if he was given just a dollar for everyone who drafted him every year ? Why he'd be rich, O.K., richer. And the 12 year old kids who play the sport would learn early in life that there's no such thing as a free lunch. You want to draft Brady ?you pay the going rate pal.

Now some may complain that Brady's law suit involves only the use of his image on Yahoo, and that's true. But now that the camel's nose is under the tent there will be no turning back. I forsee many lawyers getting into the "fantasy agency " business.If I sign Brady with some fantasy league owner for a dollar, I deserve a dime. Tom would not begrudge me that. If I could get a hold of Brady and a few of the other stars I could be making some big time money. I bet there are a million people on the internet who would pay a dollar for one of the Manning boys. That is $100,000 to me right there. Of course this will change the nature of fantasy sports. I would negotiate no trade contracts for my players. I signed with a barber, why should my guy be shipped off to an electrician with no compensation what so ever ? These players are human beings with rights, not some pieces of meat to be traded around like trading cards.

No, Mr Brady may well be on to something here. I am putting in a call to Vince Young right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home