Tuesday, November 20, 2007

deja vuless

Some years ago, Monty Python did a skit about deja vu. The skit was predictable, the announcer kept introducing the topic, and defining the word deja vu. He did this over and over again. It was hilarious.This was long before I discovered that there was no such thing as deja vu.
Deja vu (a french word with a bunch of accents which I do not know how to type) means "already seen". It comes from the Greek, "parallel memory". The was not defined until the 19th century and so, as a phenomena is fairly new. The reason that no one defined it before the 19th century, is because it does not exist.

I came to the realization, some years ago, that deja vu did not exist during, what I thought at the time was, a deja vu experience. It was a couple of days before Thanksgiving, and one of the talking heads on a national morning news show was warning America that the Department of Transportation was saying that we should make extra time for plane delays during Thanksgiving because 60 million of us, or about one in five, would be traveling this Thanksgiving season. A creepy sense of deja vu swept over me. I think I have heard this before ! Maybe it was in a dream. I seem to recall these very words being said by this very person at about this same time of year. How weird.

I put the feeling aside,as I always had such feelings, until I was watching T.V. the next year, and lo and behold, the same talking head said the same thing and then followed up with the same five tips on how to deal with the issue ( It began with "give yourself extra time" and ended with "maintain your sense of humor"). Then it hit me. The reason I seemed to remember all of these things is not because I dreamed that they happened, but because they really happened. Again and again and again. I had heard this same bullshit story every years for over thirty years. After a few more years I noticed that they were interviewing the same idiot passengers in the same Atlanta and Chicago airports every year. I thought at first that these people just traveled every year, until I noticed that they never aged. some had stayed infants for years ! Some of the elderly, by my reckoning, were over 125 years old and still flying, or rather, waiting to fly.

It was not long after that I began to notice the repetitive nature, not only of morning television, but of the entire medium. Shows I only "felt like" I had seen before, I now realized were shows that I had seen before.Over and Over. As near as I can tell, there has been nothing brand new on television since sometime in the 1970s.Apparently, T.V. depends on showing us so much, so fast, that they have given up trying to do anything new and are simply depending on our memories laspsing, or, in a pinch, us believing in the concept of deja vu.Don't take my word for it. Watch the six o'clock news (anywhere in the country) on this coming Thursday night. If there is not a eerily familair story about some church or institution feeding the homeless (hundreds of them) then I will pay for your family's Thanksgiving meal. Which, by the way, someone on the same show, will tell you consists of about 5,000 calories per person.While you are at it, take a look at those homeless, look familair ? I guess so, you have been seeing them every year since the 70s. It is NOT deja vu.

We can stop this nonsense this year. Let's all focus on what we see. We don't want to fall under the spell of the T.V. networks, and for all we know, the government, who want us to forget.Did that invasion of Iraq really happen ? Didn't you have the strangest feeling that you had seen it before ? maybe tou dreamed it ?No folks, it really did happen, the govnment just wants you to think that the last five years have been deja vu ecperiences. Well we are going to stop this, before someone gets hurt.Staring this year, we are going to, in the words of the old song "forget to remember to forget". Please join me.

Some years ago, Monty Python did a skit abourt deja vu...... Caught ya ! Now what did I just say ?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home