Thursday, July 03, 2008

Two years and counting

“My mother thanks you, my father thanks you, my sister thanks you and I thank you.”  James Cagney as George M. Cohan.

 

 

Today is the two year anniversary of that venerable institution the “Mills of the Gods”. Happy Anniversary to me. Like me, the blog was born one day too early. If my mother could have held out for 48 more minutes I would have been born on New Year’s eve and my birthday every year would be one huge party. Like George M. Cohan, “Mills” was born on the third of July, unlike Cohan, I don’t lie about the birth date.

 

Cohan told everyone that he was both of the 4rth of July, an auspicious date in America ,and he always celebrated his birthday that day. There was a lot of self promotion in Cohan’s birthday fantasy. He had written the famous patriotic song “ Yankee Doodle Dandy” in which the singer claims to have been born on the 4rth. I used to always watch the movie “Yankee Doodle Dandy” on July 4, it was part of my tradition. I still watch a few scenes when I come across it on television. I especially enjoy the ending where Cagney dances down the White House steps and then gets in line with the soldiers marching off to WW II singing his hit “Over There”. That’s a great song. It was written back in the days when we as a nation used to be invited “over there”, now we come over, invited or not. Mostly not, and over stay our welcome, if any.

 

It has been an enjoyable but burdensome task  writing this blog for the past two years, knowing in my heart of hearts that I was acting  as the moral barometer, in some way the conscience, of our nation. But then again, someone has got to do it, and I could not think of anyone’s opinions I more admired or trusted than my own. And while I am disappointed that my readership has never reached double digits, I am smugly satisfied that prophets (unlike profits) are often without honor in their own cyberspace. Not that I am comparing myself to Jesus, but if the shoe fits, you are at the very least Cinderella. I take an 11 ½ which is somewhat larger than Jesus would have taken, although in his day one sandal size tended to “fit all”. So Jesus I’m not, but I can still pick up the mantle of John the Baptist, the lonely voice crying in the wilderness, which  is all I really aspire to, although I would just as soon forgo the beheading. Well, now that I think about it I’m not real keen on wearing animal skins and eating locusts and sleeping out every night either. But I do like the part where you get to criticize everyone else.

 

So to all my readers, you know who you are, and more importantly I know who you are, each and every one of you. Thank you for your patronage. I promise you that you have gotten exactly what you paid for. Without you I would be writing this blog only to myself everyday instead of the five days out of seven that I write it only to myself. You make a difference in my life, and if you are silly enough to take any of the advice I offer in these renderings, I am going to make a difference in yours, and not a positive one at that. So have a happy holiday everyone and come back for the start of my third season next week. My mother thanks you my father thanks you , my brother thanks you, and I assure you Mr. President, I thank you.

1 Comments:

Blogger jhmbthames said...

Happy Anniversary!

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home