Friday, October 24, 2008

Serenchipity

You never know what the little computer chip is going to deliver. When I first heard about the World Wide Web, or as it used to be called, the Information Super Highway, I was excited about having all of the information in the world at my finger tips. I did not really believe that would happen, but I was excited about the possibility. It turns out that the  internet has furnished me joy beyond anything I could have imagined from, in the words of a Senator now on trial,” a series of tubes.” But the greatest gifts have come from the least expected places.

 

Now and then I check my blog list (provided for me free of charge by whoever the hell BlogSpot is) to see if any of my work has drawn comments. Yesterday, I noticed for the first time that I had gotten a comment on a story I did some time ago on the death of T.V. anchorman Ron Stone. A nice woman, I assume that it is a woman from the name, had been conducting a Google search on “Sid Lasher”. Lasher was a TV weatherman in Houston who died more than 30 years ago. He had been mentioned in my blog about Stone. The woman read my blog and was nice enough to say that she enjoyed it. It must be a fact that there is no one, living or dead, who has not been searched for on the internet. The amazing thing is that you almost always turn up something about the one you search for. I mean what would you think the odds are that you would plug the name of a weather man who has been dead for three decades and find a story about him ? My experience it that the odds are about even. That’s a wonderful thing.

 

My best internet moment happened a few months ago when my father was dying. I was in a nostalgic mood and entered into a search engine the name of my old Little League, wondering if there was anything about it. I came upon a story written by a man a few years younger than me that mentioned the League. But that was not what was important in the story. The story was a well written memory of a man’s relationship with his father. The father was dying of dementia at the time the story was written. The  story would have been poignant whenever I would have seen it. But during my dad’s dying months, of dementia, it had a tremendous affect on me.

 

I was able to trace the man down, he worked in Corpus Christi for a baseball team there. I wrote him to tell him how much the story meant to me. Within a day I received a reply, thanking me for the e-mail and assuring me that he knew what I was going through. He even said that he would put me on his prayer list. All of that was nice, but it was the ending of the note which shook me up. He said that he hoped that my mother could continue to rely on his mother for help in the coming days. What ?

 

I looked at the name again and thought that his last name was familiar. My mother had been telling me about a woman in the neighborhood who had been giving her a great deal of support. I called my mother and sure enough, this was the son of the woman who was helping her.

 

I know that this does not qualify as a miracle, or even a minor miracle, but it certainly qualifies as something to wonder about, and as something that you will remember the rest of your life. To me , it was a spiritual experience. I know for a fact that a person can touch God,  and be touched by God, through a “series of tubes”, wires and a liquid crystal screen. It may not be a burning bush, but it gets the job done.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jannie Funster said...

The first story was touching enough. But the second, 'way beyond. Yes a miracle.

Sorry to hear about the death of your dad.

Jannie

BTW, you write really well and I am enjoying your posts a lot. Thanks.

10:59 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home