Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Navy Blue

Blue, Navy Blue,

I’m as blue as I can be

Cause my steady boy said “ship ahoy”

And joined the Nay-ya-vee.            Diane Renay, “ Navy Blue” ;

 

 

Time for a change of pace. When I went into my closet this morning I could not tell whether the pants I wanted to wear were black or navy blue. This has become a common problem for me. I often end up at work with one black and one navy blue sock. I am not alone with this problem. As we age, the lenses of our eyes grow darker, producing a mild color blindness, at least with regard to differentiating between close shades. Recognizing this as a biological certainty, I have wondered why we humans retain both navy blue and black as  colors. What is the point ?

 

It seems to me that redundancy of color, or at least close redundancy in socks, is the last thing we as a species need. With all of the decisions we have to make today, why do we have to screw around(first thing in the morning I might add) with picking between navy blue and black. Colors that , by the time you are 50, you can’t much differentiate between anyway. It seems to me that blue, as a color, has enough damn shades to keep it happy without having to retain navy. Can’t it be happy with Sky blue, Columbia blue, Carolina blue, Alice Blue, Azure, Egyptian blue, and on and on ad nauseum. There are, according to my sources, 42 identifiable shades of blue. Why does blue feel that it needs to invade the province of black, which has only one shade, and a basic one at that ?

 

I know what you are going to say, black is not even a color, it is an absence of color, blue is officially on the spectrum, right after its snotty cousin “indigo”. Well black may not officially be a color, but I am wearing that non-color today (I think) and it is given a prominent place in a the box of 64 Crayola Crayons, the one that comes with the built in pencil sharpener. Those credentials are good enough for me. Half of the ball point pens in the world use black ink. The color of type you are reading now is black. Black has enough to do in this world without constantly having to be confused with navy blue. You use black every day of your life, what in the hell did navy blue ever do for you ? The time has come to end this charade and end it quickly. Choices need to be made as to which color stays and which goes. I am sticking with black. I hope that you will join me.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jannie Funster said...

In my sweet little Alice Blue Gown, when I first wandered down into town.

Or something like that...?

I love the colors on paint-store swatches. Poetry my man, poetry, as I'm sure you've noted yourself.

To heck with colors, I wanna know when did fonts start getting so freaking small???

P.S. I got my date and venue booked for my CD release show / party! Sunday May 10th, 7:30 to 8:30 in the Barton's Spgs - Lamar area. I'll be posting more details about it next week. Maybe you and the missus can come out to see if a Jannie Funster really exists??

There will be no cover charge and if you wish to buy a CD they will be only $10.00. And my autograph will be FREE!!!

12:54 PM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

the color NAMES on paint store swatches, I meant to say.

12:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home