Tuesday, June 16, 2009

How Many Times Can You Say I'm Sorry ?

All three major network’s were simultaneously running stories on their morning shows about” little Kylie” or Little Kylie’s mother, or something , so  I changed the channel. I don’t follow these tragic disappearance/ murder stories and could not tell you the first thing about that one. While the tragedy of these stories is unspeakable, it upsets me that the national media will pick out one story on child murder to follow when children are being killed  or allowed to die ,for no reason, around the globe every day. They just don’t happen to be cute (or white) by American standards and so they die unmourned by us and uncovered by our media.

 

I turned over to that Fox cable morning show which usually gets my blood boiling. Before their story on Kim Khardashian announcing that she has cellulite and is unashamed ,complete with pictures (honest to God, that was the story) they ran a sequence on David Letterman.

 

Letterman is in trouble  for telling a tasteless joke about the Governor of Alaska’s daughter being “knocked up” in the 7th inning at Yankee Stadium by Yankee third baseman Alex Rodriguez (former Madonna lover). Everyone knew that Letterman was talking about Palin’s oldest daughter who has an unplanned pregnancy last summer. But that daughter was not at the game, the 14 year old was, so Palin got to say that Letterman had told a sick joke. It was not meant as a sick joke, it was meant as a tasteless joke to make fun of an 18 year old girl who can’t defend herself. So Letterman sort of apologized and then one of his major sponsors dropped him so her really apologized last night. This morning, some of the “really pissed off” are saying that the apology was not good enough, which is crazy, the apology was fine. The timing of the apology was lousy and it thus might seem (or even be) insincere.

 

I like Letterman and was watching his show when he told the joke. I was taken aback and thought he had gone too far (although I did laugh). Once you have raised a daughter your view about such things changes. But, taste aside, the joke was funny, managing to make fun of three people at one time, Palin, her daughter and Alex. I am fine with making fun of Palin and Alex. I laughed at his mention that Palin was shopping to upgrade her “slutty flight attendant look”. I just think these celebrity kids should be off limits. I can think of 100 jokes which are funny, i.e. they would get a laugh, but would never be told because they are tasteless or mean spirited toward the innocent.

 

The nation changed during the O.J. Simpson trial, murder jokes or jokes with two people’s murder underlying them were told each night by Leno and Letterman. I doubt very much that the victim’s families got  a big charge out of them, but everyone else laughed. If you can laugh about the brutal murder of two people, I guess there is not much else that is off limits. Maybe Helen Keller jokes will make a comeback, maybe we will finally start seeing some decent cancer jokes or get a good laugh out of the Holocaust.

 

It was not so long ago that Don Imus was run off for telling a tasteless joke and my reaction in this blog was “don’t let the door hit you in the ass on your way out Don.” Of course, I did not care for Imus, and like Letterman a great deal so I am hypocritical enough not to call for his ouster. I think that it is O.K. to be inconsistent as long as you can stand up and admit it. Then when you read this blog you know going in that you are reading the words of a hypocrite and you can decide for yourself whether it is worth your time.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jannie Funster said...

It was a NON-apology.

"I'm so sorry IF you were offended" Not "I was wrong and I'm sorry."

Yeah, let's joke about a grown man knocking up a 14-year-old. That's what I call humor, folks! Gimme me some more of that.

Palin is a class act. Letterman a washed-up grasper.

1:55 PM  
Blogger Jannie Funster said...

Sorry for calling him washed-up. That wasn't nice.

But he was grasping. That's understandable, we all do that sometimes. But the "joke" was way out of line.

I am proud of Ms Palin for taking the stand she did.

10:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home