Friday, November 06, 2009

The Yellow Submarine

Come on little Nowhere Man, we’ll take you somewhere.  Starr, Ringo (animated), “Yellow Submarine”

 

I made a few factual errors in the blog yesterday. As anyone who reads this blog knows, I don’t care a whit about being accurate. It is the truth we are seeking. The fact that Major Hassan is still alive, or perhaps had never been deployed before, is as irrelevant for us  as the answer to the question of  what really happened the day Jesus fed the 5,000. Not that I’m comparing this blog to the Bible. I would never be that violent.

 

But in a sense I am sorry this morning. I wrote a sentence yesterday that was unduly pessimistic when I said “We (and I meant as a species) ain’t  goin’ nowhere." Sometimes it seems like that, but as Ringo Starr understood, sometimes even a Nowhere man can be taken somewhere. It is  still probably too early to write off the future of all humanity, and I’m probably not the one in the best position to make that decision.

 

So forgive me for that moment of doubt. While we plod along, measuring out our life in coffee spoons, there are still some of our kind who have made progress. The rest of us  can learn from them and, in the end, the logic of their humanity (boy there’s an ironic term)may well control our destiny. All may yet be well. We may be goin’ somewhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jannie Funster said...

"Measuring our life in coffee spoons," I'm not entirely sure what you mean by that but I love the image.

I think people are actually getting nicer and nicer and the world closer to some great wonderful happy place. I really do! There is so much compassion. Or is that just in the blogosphere I hang out in?

4:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home